Location: Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Requisition Number: 4227
Washington, DC, USA Req #4227
Wednesday, November 3, 2021
Job Title: Special Assistant
Department: Professional Services
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full Time Exempt
This position is located in the Front Office of the Global Engagement Center (GEC), Department of State, reporting to the Senior Advisor. In accordance with the GEC mission to "direct, lead, synchronize, integrate, and coordinate" the U.S. response to foreign state and foreign non-state propaganda and disinformation efforts, the incumbent assists GEC principals works to support the GEC Coordinator and Deputy Coordinators. The Special Assistant serves in a multifunctional, dynamic role as one of the principal staffers for the Coordinator, the Deputy Coordinators, and the Senior Advisor. While this position is not an executive assistant, it does fill elements of that role occasionally. The incumbent also works closely with the Front Office Staff Assistants and OMSs. The incumbent will on occasion, draft, review, and disseminate critically sensitive information.
- Possesses sufficient knowledge of the goals, priorities, policies, and substantive programs of the GEC and of the commitments of the GEC leadership to various stakeholders to draft a variety of written products upon request.
- At the direction of the GEC's leadership, prepare Action Memos, Information Memos, talking points, call sheets, briefing materials, and other written materials as requested.
- Work in close collaboration with the Special Advisor and the entire front office team in support of the GEC Coordinator's objectives.
- Prepare confidential background material and reports for GEC principals' use in preparing him/her for meetings with other USG officials, leaders and high-level officials of foreign governments, White House staff, and Members of Congress.
- Escort GEC principals to senior level meetings and provide notes and resulting due outs.
- Attend Senior Staff meetings, as appropriate, to provide information when called upon and to note any requests for information and action made by GEC leaders and follow-up on those requests.
- Support and guide the GEC's Staff Assistants and OMSs on matters of scheduling, preparing the GEC leaders for upcoming meetings, and clearing documents across the State Department and with the interagency.
- Serve as the backup to the GEC's Staff Assistants.
- Draft documents concerning efforts to counter propaganda and disinformation in a way that allows external stakeholders to understand the significance of the information and identify opportunities to act.
- Cultivate, and maintain collaborative working relationships with colleagues, experts, embassies, consulates, the U.S. interagency, policy committees, and foreign partners, as appropriate, and leverage these relationships to share information of interest.
- Perform other unspecified analytical duties as assigned.
- Clear, concise writing skills.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills, including ability to think strategically.
- Strong, timely, and precise organizational skills and multi-tasking abilities.
- Ability to execute senior-level guidance in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to accomplish strategic goals using metrics and other measures of effectiveness to track progress.
- Facility with standard software, including the complete Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SharePoint), and an ability to learn and work with other software, as well as database applications.
- Ability to support group decisions and solicit perspectives from coworkers.
- Ability to promote information sharing practices across the GEC and the Department.
- Interpersonal, problem-solving skills, negotiating, and resolving controversial issues.
- Must be able to work collaboratively and exercise strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team or collaborative environment, and mentor junior colleagues.
- Creative problem-solving skills and initiative in carrying out mission responsibilities.
• No additional supervisory Responsibilities separate from what has already been noted
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
• Occasionally moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
• Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
• Expresses or exchanges ideas by means of the spoken word.Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
• Frequently moves standard office equipment up to 25 pounds.
• Must be able to work indoor conditions 90% of the time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Typical days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.Evening and weekend hours required, as required by business need.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
• No additional experience noted by the government separate from what has already been noted
- Bachelor's Degree
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Must be a U.S. citizen. Must possess or be able to obtain/maintain a Top-Secret security clearance.
Pursuant to Executive Order 14043, this position requires full vaccination against COVID-19 regardless of work location.
All Native Group is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to age, sex, race, national origin, religion, marital status, or physical disability. However, preference may be extended to persons of Indian descent in accordance with applicable laws.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Job Family Program Management and Operations (non-tech)
- Pay Type Salary
State: District Of Columbia
Community / Marketing Title: Specialist Assistant
Location_formattedLocationLong: Washington, District Of Columbia US
CountryEEOText_Description: US EEO Verbiage